Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

A BURNING BUSH - JUST COINCIDENCE?


Many times I wonder why we don't see the hand of the Lord so evidently as the people of the Old Testament.  I sometimes feel a bit envious of what they were able to experience.  I long to have the Lord speak to me out of a burning bush or part the waters or lead me about by a pillar of fire!  But then I realize, His evidence is all around me and in me!  I speed through life so fast that I often miss the times that He is speaking and working and moving.  And it is in moments like this morning that He truly gives me my own little "burning bush"....

Our family is going through a trying time right now.  I won't share in depth, but what we have known as "normal" in our daily lives, is beginning to be changed - drastically.  So, our family has made a covenant to hold fast to the Lord and to one another and be an example of what the Lord can do through trying circumstances.  It is our desire for God to be glorified in our actions.  But to do this, we seek Him daily!  Tim and I both read the Daily Bible Reading Plan  through an app on our i-phones.  We both are reading the Chronological Bible Plan (which by the way is amazing!!!)  So, I was reading in bed early this morning while Tim was up getting ready and we were discussing some of the things I was reading in Job.  Then Tim went out to the living room to read his daily reading.  He is in the book of Numbers.  He had only been out there for a very brief time, when I heard him calling for me.  So, I went out to the living room and he was sitting in his usual chair with his i-phone but he was just staring at it with this face of amazement.  He went on to tell me that he had sat down and opened his Bible app - thinking that it would open, as it always does, to the last place he was reading on the previous day.   (And this is where the "burning bush" started flaming!!!!)  When he opened the app, instead of it being in Numbers it was directly on Philippians 4: 12-13!  If you are not familiar with that scripture, let me just share with you:

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."

WOW!!!!!!  Can you say - "burning bush"!?!?!  YES - it was a burning bush!  Do I believe God ordained for that to happen to us this morning - YES!  God is good!  It may not be apparent by your physical circumstances in life - perhaps you have lost all your belongings in a fire or your finances are burdened due to the recession or you are suffering from a tragedy or physical illness.  But just as Job experienced extreme loss in his life, he still stood up and said -  God is good!  May I have the same attitude and faith - that is my prayer!  And the scripture sent as our "burning bush" stands as a testament that God is with us in the good times and what we consider the bad times.  It is my prayer that "He is working all things for the sake of His glory."  

So, my encouragement to you today is to take time to see, hear, taste, touch and smell God's handiwork.  He is moving and working and is ever-present in our lives.  We just need to slow down to really see the "burning bush" - or it just becomes a flash of light out the window as we speed on down the road of life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment